KEMSA scholarship funds are intended to assist those hoping to enter the emergency medical services job force or for established members of the EMS community looking to advance their education and/or certification level.
Scholarships will be given for:
- Higher education EMS programs - must be a KEMSA member to be eligible
- EMR, EMT, AEMT or Paramedic programs - can be a KEMSA member, spouse, child or grandchild of a member
Scholarship Qualifications (in addition to the qualifications above):
- a Kansas resident;
- not a previous winner in the last four years;
- demonstrate financial need;
- pursuing a career or looking to further a career in emergency medical services.
Scholarship Award Process
- Scholarship application forms shall be submitted ONLINE here: kemsa.org/scholarship-form.
- Scholarship application forms will be reviewed and approved by the KEMSA Scholarship Committee.
- Final decisions on scholarship recipients will be made by the KEMSA Board of Directors when needed.
- Scholarship application forms are due on June 15 each year.
- The review period will be between June 15 and July 15.
- The scholarship committee will only review fully completed scholarship applications which comply to the directions of the scholarship application form. Application packets which fail to confirm to the scholarship application requirements by the due date will be considered incomplete.
- All applicants will receive decision notification, in writing, within thirty (30) days of review.
- Scholarship winners will be recognized at the KEMSA Awards Banquet during the annual KEMSA Conference & Expo in August.
- Scholarship funds shall be distributed to selected recipients’ training facility or college no later than September 1.
- First-time scholarship applicants will be given priority each year.
- The KEMSA Scholarship Committee will award $1,000 scholarships. The number of scholarships will be determined by the amount of funding available.
In addition to the online application form, you are required to submit:
- Proof of acceptance into an EMS program
- One professional letter of recommendation, i.e. your last instructor or last employer
- One page essay (single or double spaced) containing the following:
- Current and past involvement in EMS, if any
- Career goals or future plans in EMS
- Community involvement
- Why you wish to pursue a specific EMS program
- Why you would like a scholarship or financial needs
- A 250 word (or less) biography stating information about your previous and/or current EMS experience, a brief account of activities you are involved in, how you got interested in EMS, and goals for the future.
- A current high quality digital photo.
Your biography, along with your photo, will be published in the Winter issue of the KEMSA Chronicle magazine and will not be used in the selection process.
Submit your application ONLINE here: kemsa.org/scholarship-form.
If you have questions, contact Mary Napier.